Pages

Sunday 16 September 2012

I like Bones and Lilies (Tattoo Post)

So much that I got a tattoo with both! I had been planning to get a half sleeve for quite some time, and had settled on a style and an artist, so back in January I went ahead and booked a sitting at Precious Tattoo with Hexa. Actually two sittings, a week apart. And I took a resin cat skull to the shop so the artist could take some pictures of it. There was a long line so I finally got to go under the needle in May. Here you can see what the tattoo looked like after the first sitting.

The artist was very fast, so he did all the lines, shading and coloured the lilies too. I heal fast, so I had no problems with it. It was a bit sore on the first few days, and I actually went to a friend's housewarming party the same day, it was over 200 kilometres away ;P Then there was WGT, and after that the second sitting where the background was finished. I opted for a flowery black lace pattern as the background, I hadn't ever seen a lace tattoo and the artist didn't have experience on them either, but it came out great! The whole thing cost around 600 euros, and I'm very happy with it. I knew it would be expensive, and I wanted a high class artist and was willing to wait a long time to get it done. Doing the background hurt like hell, he used the thinnest needle and there was much skin to cover! I'd still do it all over again :) I might expand it to a full sleeve some day.

Two weeks ago I got the lowest lily touched up and have been itching to take decent shots of the tattoo to share. It's still a bit shiny, but looks okay, so here they finally are!

Here it is! Two cat skulls and four lilies on a base of black lace.

Here you can see the lovely edge of the lace on my shoulder.

The lowest lily used to be pink, but the colour was too warm for me,
so now it's a darker, cooler shade of red with purple petal tips. I might
still get some darker colour to the petals of the other lilies, if I feel like
they are too light after some time.

The top skull looks a bit wonky from this angle ;P



18 comments:

  1. Hi Karolina !!!
    First comment from me ;-)
    I was a silent reader, getting inspiration from your posts.
    You have a beautifully done half sleeve ♥ and what makes me comment is that I actually have the same kind of tattoo myself !
    I'm thinking of a cat skull (in an Atom Artcore tattoo studio style or a David Rudziński style) on my shoulder, with black orchids, a black rosary running around this skull and onto my shoulder blade ... With the word "sibling" (I was born in a siamese cats breeding ♥, they were my family somehow).

    So yeah I love your tattoo (I love tattoos and bones, too, us weird people, you know ^^), love the fact you had a similar idea, and the black lace around lilies make it so more dark and feminine in the same time !!!
    Really nice work from Hexa, at Precious Tattoo !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, thank you! Your black orchids sound wonderful, and siamese cats are always lovely, also in skeleton form ;) I haven't seen any other cat skull tattoos, what a coincidence! I've got a resin version of a kitty skull and it's just so pretty, so it's a wonder there aren't more cat skull tattoos around :)

      Delete
  2. Looks fantastic and fits you so nicely! I always say, good tattoos aren't cheap and cheap tattoos aren't good. It's with you for life and you choose a great artist!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I had saved up some money to spend on it, it would just be silly to get a cheap tattoo and risk having something that you wouldn't like.

      Delete
  3. I love it! The lace and skulls, all of it is stunning - he did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really fond of how the lace turned out! It might go a bit smudgy over time, but I'll deal with it if it comes to that :) Right now it looks just like I wanted it!

      Delete
  4. Love it! Great work done too, and the lace behind it is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it too... It's perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way they retouched the bottom lily-- that gradient is so beautiful! I also love the entire concept; it's quite gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really like the touched up lily too, it was nice earlier, but the deeper red and purple really make it come alive!

      Delete
  7. I think it's the lace that sells it. It's a much nicer background than just dark shading or those weird smoke curls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me some time to come up with the lace idea, but I think it really ties the whole thing together. My style is quite feminine, and I like lacy clothing, plus the regular swirls you describe didn't really feel right for me. I'm already dreaming of extending the lace down the arm, as soon as I forget how much it hurt to get it done ;P

      Delete
  8. It just looks amazing, although i totally agree with you, a little touch up to darker purple would suit it better, we both know that colours can't fade out a lot on inklove :P
    But that lace details are just gorgeus, and i really liked the cat skulls , great shading

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite part is the black lace background - really love how that looks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...