Pages

Friday 10 May 2013

Eyeshadow Nails

Femme Fatale cosmetics posted a link to this tutorial on their Facebook page, and I just instantly had to try it out! I wanted to try and do gradient nails, but it was really hard to do on my own. I'm totally sure gradient nails can be done with this technique, you would just need another person to sprinkle the eyeshadow, at least for your dominant hand since it's a total pain to try and get it on accurately when your hand just doesn't do what you tell it to. And I'm a person who paints on eyebrows so that I use my left hand for the left brow and my right hand for the right brow, so for someone less ambidextrous it could even harder. So, for gradients have a friend help you! For just sprinkles, you are fine by yourself :)

I used Darling Girl Throwing Stones, since I just happened to have a tiny sample lying around, and Sugarpill Hysteric. The base nail polish is Kleancolor Metallic Black.



I started with a coat of the metallic black polish and let it dry (I also used a base coat, but that's only to smooth my nails a bit). Then I added a layer of top coat, like the tutorial stated, and dusted some Throwing Stones on top. When the top coat was dry, I brushed off the extra eyeshadow and applied another layer of top coat to lock in the shadow. At this point Throwing Stones went almost invisible, it only left a gorgeous sheen but the lavender shade of the shadow base vanished. So I just decided to apply another eyeshadow coat with Hysteric, since I had already opened it to serve as a backup in case the Throwing Stones sample ran out.

Again I applied a light layer of top coat, dusted eyeshadow on and let it dry. After it was dry, I brushed off the excess (the tutorial suggests using a fan brush, but I think other soft, big brushes will also work) and put on yet another layer of top coat. When it was dry I washed my hands to get all the loose eyeshadow off and was left with super glittery nails!

In this picture you can see the pink-lavender sheen of Throwing Stones and the turquoise glitter of Hysteric.


I took these pictures to try and show how different the shadows are. The blue-ish one is Throwing Stones, it has a pink-lavender sheen, and the more red one is Hysteric, it has turquoise glitter in it. Sugarpill loose shadows are huge so I felt like I could sacrifice some for this experiment, even thought Hysteric is one of my favourites.






I have trouble taking nail pictures since my left hand is dominant, and thus my right hand is the one with the neater polish. But my camera is shaped so that it's meant to be held in the right hand, so I can't easily take pictures of my right hand! First world problems ;P

12 comments:

  1. awesome - I love this style. I think I need to try it real soon on my own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was a really fun technique, if a bit messy :) I hope you post pictures when you try it, I'm sure your nails will look gorgeous!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha, I know what you mean, taking pics with the wrong hand is hard! Or taking selfies with the hand you usually use. ha ha. That sounds so vain!

    What a fascinating idea! I haven't really done my nails since I got the steamparakeet, I don't want him to ingest nailpolish and get sick. I don't miss the annoyance of redoing chipped nailpolish every day though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True about the selfies! I'm too lazy to change the lens, so I get really tightly cropped pictures and it's hit-and-miss if I even get half of my face in the picture ;P

      Delete
  3. Oh, this is great! A cool technique I should try out as well... This way, you can perfectly match eyes and nails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, matching eyes and nails is something I really look forward to!

      Delete
  4. So pretty! Looks like a MUCH easier way to achieve that 'galaxy' look :)
    I saw that tutorial as well, and can't wait to try it. It makes me feel a little less guilty for having so many loose eyeshadows, now I can use them for nails! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too have a huge collection of eyeshadows, this is a fun way to use them :)

      Delete
  5. Ohho, that was pretty cool! Thanks for the link, must try this sometime :D.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...